Friday 20 May 2011

A Talk With an Alchemist.... (Part 2)

"Then why don't you follow your dream of doing a Journalism?" he asked me. I answered, "I am scared of the unfavorable consequences that will follow." "Just a second," he said, "Hold on. What is the guarantee that the consequences will be favorable when you let others decide your fate? Some time ago I told you not to sit. By that I meant don't sit and pity yourself or be afraid of being left behind in life. Now I tell you to sit. This time I tell you to sit and listen. Listen to what your heart has to say. It won't hurt as much as you think it would to listen to your heart and land yourself up in a soup. At least, there you will be responsible for the good and the bad consequences, right?"

So, following his orders, I sat down and closed my eyes and listened to what my heart had to say. I opened my eye. The Alchemist asked, "What did your heart say to you dear?" "I answered with utmost calmness in my voice, "It said that I should do Journalism." "Then do it," he said, "What is stopping you from doing Journalism?" "The thing is sir," I said, "I am already in the middle of doing Chartered Accountancy." My face showed a very disgusting expression. "There is always a way out of every problem child. If there problems in our life then there have got to be solutions to these problems too." "I did not get you sir," I said. "Okay," he said, "Let me give you an example. Let us take your example. You think that you are in a big mess but that isn't the case.There is solution to your problem. You have not one but two solutions that you can choose from." There was a question mark on my face. He continued, "Child, the first option is that you can either do something related to Journalism after you finish with your Chartered Accountancy.The second option is that you can have writing as a hobby and pursue Chartered Accountancy as a profession.. That way you wont hurt the feelings of your dear ones and you are not sacrificing your dream too. Remember one thing: THE HAND THAT HAS WRITTEN YOUR LIFE HAS WRITTEN THE STORY OF THE UNIVERSE. SO NEVER EXPECT TO KNOW YOUR FUTURE. GOD NEVER SHOWS YOU WHAT HAPPENS IN FUTURE  AND EVEN IF HE DOES HE SHOWS IT  THAT IT CAN BE CHANGED.

"Yes sir," I said, "I will remember that." "One more thing dear," he said and paused for a few seconds. He said, "This line is a proverb and has been used in Bollywood movies in Hindi (Of course!) It goes like this: IF YOU WANT SOMETHING/ SOMEONE WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART, THE COMPLETE UNIVERSE CONSPIRES TO GET IT FOR YOU. This something includes- good or bad. So be careful when you ask for some thing. This is His law and it cannot be changed. FEAR IS MAN'S WORST ENEMY. Here. I would modify one of the well known sayings- KEEP FRIENDS CLOSE, ENEMIES CLOSER AND FEAR THE FARTHEST. Fear can kill. One last thing dear, "DESTINY PLAYS GAMES WITH US. IT IS A VERY OLD PLAYER. BUT WHEN AFTER A LOT OF HARDSHIPS YOU BEFRIEND DESTINY i.e. DESTINY IS ON YOUR SIDE , NO ONE CAN STOP YOU FROM DOING ANYTHING.                                                                                                                                                            


He gave me a divine smile. I smiled back at him. He said, "Now, sit and  think about what I said." I turned around to sit and think. When I turned around, he had disappeared.


He was indeed an alchemist. Although he had not turned lead or iron into gold. In the sense that, I had realized that to convert my heart of metal to gold I had to burn myself to gold.

At this point in life, I had decided to listen to my heart ALWAYS.































3 comments: